NEW! The EFC's Julia Beazley has appeared repeatedly on TV to give updates on the situation (100 Huntley Street on June 6, May 11, May 5, and Context With Lorna Dueck on Feb. 26).
Audio & Video
Submissions to Government and Other Regulatory Bodies
- EFC letter of 9 June 2016 to the Ministers of Health and Justice, highlighting public support for conscience protection and palliative care, as well as the opposition to hastened death.
- EFC proposed revisions to Bill C-14 to House of Commons Committee (May 2) and to Senate Committee (May 9) considering amendments to Bill C-14 (watch the related ten-minute May 3 presentation to the House Committee by jumping to time of 19:43)
- EFC letter to all MPs (Apr. 2016)
- Submission to the Special Joint Committee on Physician-Assisted Dying (Feb. 2016). The committee released its report Feb. 25 – read the EFC's Brief Analysis (Mar. 2016)
- Response to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario Consultation on Interim Guidance on Physician-Assisted Death (Jan. 2016)
- Stakeholder submission to the External Panel on Options for a Legislative Response to Carter v. Canada (Nov. 2015, link to come). The External Panel's final report is now available (Dec. 2015/Jan. 2016).
- Stakeholder submission to the Canadian Provincial/Territorial Expert Advisory Group, which is making recommendations to help develop laws, policies, practices and safeguards in advance of physician-assisted dying becoming legal in Canada (Sept. 2015)
- Letter to Minister of Justice, The Hon. Peter Mackay Re: Euthanasia / Carter Decision (Feb. 11, 2015)
- Letter to Minister of Justice, The Hon. Peter Mackay Re: Euthanasia / Quebec (June 27, 2014)
- Archival materials:
- NEW! EFC Responds to Passing of Assisted-Dying Law (June 2016)
- Does Your MP Know What You Think About Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide? (EFC staff, March 29, 2016)
- A Brief Analysis of the Report of the Special Joint Committee on Physician-Assisted Dying. A seven-page EFC response (Mar. 2016)
- More Time to Decide on Assisted Suicide Laws? (Bruce Clemenger, January 12, 2016)
- No Age Limits for Assisted Suicide? (Julia Beazley, December 21, 2015)
- Federal Government Options on Assisted Suicide (Bruce Clemenger, December 7, 2015)
- Canada Watch (Apr/May 2015) includes “Why Should We Be Involved in the Euthanasia Issue in Canada?” and “Going Deeper on Euthanasia: Q and A With EFC President Bruce Clemenger”
- Choosing Between Life and Death: How to promote the sanctity of human life after the Supreme Court decision on assisted suicide (Bruce Clemenger, March 1, 2015)
- All Euthanasia-related Posts on the EFC blog, going back to 2009
More information is available from the following organizations
What You Can Do
Related Issue: Abortion
Related Issue: Palliative Care
Related Issue: Reproductive/Genetic Technologies
Palliative Care: House of Commons motion calls for a national stategy (2016)
Palliative Care and End of Life Therapies: EFC position paper (2012)
Bill 52 Quebec: "Assisted Aid in Dying" bill passes (2014)
Carter v. Canada: Assisted suicide & euthanasia case (2013-2015)
Cuthbertson v. Rasouli: Life-sustaining care & religious freedom case (2013)
Find hospice and palliative care services near you. Search for services by name, location or medical conditions addressed.
In the Shadow of Death: A Christian Perspective on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide: Download this EFC publication from 2006 or buy a printed copy.