Whether it is federal, provincial, municipal or school board elections, your church can participate in the democratic process.
However, given that many churches are registered with the Canada Revenue Agency as charities with the ability to issue income tax receipts, there are certain considerations and policies that must be considered.
The government has set out specific guidelines that outline the allowable political activities of charities.
The EFC produces an election kit for federal elections in which we identify different ways of engagement (e.g. prayer, all-candidates meetings) and fact sheets on the issues you might want to ask questions about.
This page is your connection to EFC resources that can help you (and/or your church) engage safely and in an informed way in the electoral process.
Election Kit 2011
Election Kit 2011 by Section:
- 2011 Election - A Call to Prayer for Canada (.doc)
- Guidelines for Charitable Political Activity (.doc)
- Canadian Elections - 5 Points (.doc)
- All Candidates' Meeting - 5 Steps (.doc)
- Environment (.doc)
- Family Integrity (.doc)
- Freedom of Religion in Canada (.doc)
- Genetic and Reproductive Technologies (.doc)
- Global Poverty Reduction (.doc)
- Media Regulations (.doc)
- Poverty and Homelessness (.doc)
- Prostitution and Human Trafficking (.doc)
- Protection of Children (.doc)
- Religious Freedom Internationally (.doc)
- Respect for Human Life - Abortion (.doc)
- Respect for Human LIfe - Euthanasia (.doc)
Other Relevant Items:
- Church & Faith Trends (Aug 2009) – Canadian Evangelical Voting Trends by Region, 1996–2008 - Download PDF
- ActivateCFPL blog, Don Hutchinson (Mar 29, 2011)
Advance Polls for Canadian Election Open on Good Friday: Thankfully not Easter Sunday … this time
- National Post opinion editorial, Don Hutchinson (April 8, 2011) Don’t dismiss the so-cons
- ActivateCFPL blog, Don Hutchinson (April 12, 2011) International Religious Persecution Draws Attention in Canadian Election
- CBC National News with Leslie MacKinnon (April 24,2011), Don Hutchinson answers the question "Do Religion and Politics Mix?"
- ActivateCFPL blog, (April 25, 2011) Can a Christian vote for a Candidate who is not Pro-Life?
- Listen Up TV (Sunday, May 1), Don Hutchinson talks about Faith in Democracy.