The late Glenn Penner, former Chair of the EFC’s Religious Liberty Commission and CEO of the Voice of Martyrs Canada, has written a series of articles about the persecuted church. These articles touch on themes in Penner's book In the Shadow of the Cross, and are valuable for anyone seeking to learn more about persecution. The links below open in a new window.
For more background on religious persecution, see the resources available from the World Evangelical Alliance's Religious Liberty Commission. The WEA RLC advocates on behalf of Christians at the UN level.
To learn how you and your church can participate in the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church see IDOP Canada.
The EFC Religious Liberty Commission has produced the following resources:
- EFC Religious Liberty Commission Alerts, updates on urgent situations of religious persecution. Includes recent EFC reports on India, Vietnam, and Egypt. Among the most recent (October 2009): Not What You See: A Report on the Religious Liberty Situation of Protestant Believers in Vietnam.
- Broken Promises: The Protestant Experience with Religious Freedom in China in Advance of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, a 27-page report released June 10, 2008. It identifies the general extent of persecution faced by the Protestant house churches. Free download.
- A Christian Defense of Religious Freedom, a background paper by the Religious Liberty Commission, 1996. Download free or order the print version for $5.00.
- Christians and Civil Disobedience, a paper that examines relevant biblical texts and encourages discussion. Produced by the Religious Liberty Commission, 2001. Download for free (or order the print version for $2.00).
- 2003 Foreign Policy Review: A Contribution to the Dialogue, a brief submitted as part of the Minister of Foreign Affairs' 2003 Dialogue on Foreign Policy.
- Canadian Advocates Pack - Vietnam 2004, a kit to assist you in writing to imprisoned Vietnamese Christians, their families, and to government authorities on their behalf. Includes addresses. Download free.
Visit the EFC library to check for other resources related to international religious freedom.