The EFC is an active partner in Building Our Whole Society: Religion and Citizenship at Canada’s 150th (OurWholeSociety.ca
), a multifaith conference on the place of religion in Canadian society taking place in Ottawa, May 8-9, 2017.
How can our society ensure public space for diverse perspectives and practices? Can we advance beyond simple toleration of religious and other differences to embrace a wider respect for all citizens? These are some of the questions to be addressed.
Keynote speakers Prof. John Borrows and Dr. John Ralston Saul along with several panelists and workshop leaders will address these and other significant questions on faith and the Canadian public sphere.
Three conference sessions will include plenary panelist speakers and workshops:
1. Solidarity in Diversity, with Palbinder Kaur Shergill, QC, World Sikh Organization; Prof. Ingrid Mattson, Huron University College, Western University; Dr. Andrew Bennett, Cardus. Related workshops:
- “Exploring how & why faith communities can counter negative coverage of Islam & Muslims in Canadian media,” Amira Elghawaby, National Council of Canadian Muslims
- “Balancing the Virtues of Autonomy and Solidarity: An Inter-faith Case for Basic Income?”, Nicholas Olkovich, Doctoral candidate, St. Michael's College
- “SBNR Spirituality, Religion and Citizenship at Canada 150,” Tom Sherwood, Adjunct Research Professor and Contract Instructor, Carleton University
2. Reconciliation, with Karen Joseph, Reconciliation Canada; Prof. Douglas Sanderson, University of Toronto; Bishop Mark MacDonald, Anglican Church of Canada. Related workshops:
- “An act of re-remembering,” Deanna Zantingh & Bernadette Arthur, Sandy Saulteaux Spiritual Centre
- “Engaging Indigenous students in contemporary Christian school settings,” Marie Green, Doctoral candidate, St. Michael's College
3. Immigration and Refugees, with Prof. Audrey Macklin, University of Toronto; Dr. Martin Mark, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto; Prof. Howard Adelman, Founding Director of Refugees Centre at York University. Related workshops:
For more events of interest to Christians in Canada, check the EFC's community calendar. You can add your own event there for free.
- “Faith & Settlement Partnerships,” Hector Acero Ferrer, Centre for Community Based Research
- "Operation Ezra," Belle Jarniewski, Holocaust Education Centre, Manitoba Multifaith Council