In this five-page submission (download PDF
) to the House of Commons standing committee on health, the EFC recommends:
- a continued focus on compassionate, life-affirming care that maintains the distinction between palliative care and euthanasia/medical assistance in dying.
- support for palliative care providers and hospices, include strong, clear conscience protection for individuals and institutions
- increased training for health care providers in palliative care across all settings
- initiatives to raise public awareness about the availability of palliative and end-of-life care
- aligning data collection on palliative care with benchmarks on patient outcomes.
- Palliative Care Toolkit, 44-page booklet (published in 2018) with informative articles, clearly presented data and helpful discussion questions