Résumé en français suit.
Scroll down to see the latest news about upcoming webinars, recent podcasts, etc.
Come back to this page anytime using www.TheEFC.ca/RenegotiatingFaith.
Our groundbreaking Young Adult Transition Research (YATR) partnership has released its first two reports. They are now available as free downloads!
The Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, Power to Change–Students, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Youth for Christ and Truth Matters Ministries partnered together on this research to discover how we can all help Christian teens stay connected to church and faith as they move on from high school.
The EFC and its partners want this research to be a gift to all churches. Both reports are free PDFs at www.RenegotiatingFaith.ca, and you can link to them directly using the cover images here. However, there is lots more supporting material at the research website, and we encourage you to go there to subscribe to the research mailing list.
Learn more on the secondary report:
- Competition for Character Education: What Emerging Adulthood Means for Christian Higher Education in Canada is the second report, focused on Christian postsecondary students. It came out in December 2018.
- Christian Postsecondary Schools Are a Good Investment by Alex Newman (Faith Today, Jan/Feb 2019)
- Webinar recording: Youth Renegotiating Faith at Christian Postsecondary Schools: How are faith and maturity different for youth who attend Christian post-secondary schools? How is Christian identity formed in the midst of Bible college, graduate theological school, liberal arts university or discipleship school? What do parents and pastors need to know about the opportunities and challenges for youth who attend those institutions? Our expert guests included Rick Hiemstra, director of research for the EFC and lead researcher for Renegotiating Faith; Bruce Guenther, associate professor of church history and Mennonite studies at Trinity Western University; and Justin Cooper, executive director of Christian Higher Education Canada. With host Karen Stiller (Nov. 28, 2018)
Learn more on the main report:
- Renegotiating Faith: The Delay in Young Adult Identity Formation and What It Means for the Church in Canada, the first major report, came out in July 2018.
- French-language executive summary: Résumé de Renégocier la foi: Répercussions du retard dans la formation de l’identité des jeunes adultes sur l’Église au Canada (Nov. 5, 2018)
- Webinar recording: Renegotiating Faith: The Delay in Young Adult Identity Formation: A discussion of major new research on youth and faith, featuring practical advice for churches. Includes lead EFC researcher Rick Hiemstra, Anton Lim of Power to Change–Students, and Jeremy MacDonald of Truth Matters. Host: Karen Stiller (Oct. 10, 2018)
- EFC Audio Podcast: Renegotiating Faith: An interview with Rick Hiemstra about the youth and faith research. Lead researcher on what the research revealed, and what parents and churches can learn (Sept. 11, 2018)
- Renegotiating Faith in Young Adulthood: Canadian research looks at how to help youth keep the faith after high school by Alex Newman (Faith Today, Sept/Oct 2018)
- What do you remember from the years right after high school? by Bill Fledderus (EFC blog, May 2018)
- YATR research project landing page
Update: Research partners held two follow-up consultations in May on how people are using the research. May 13, 2019 in Abbotsford, BC and May 15, 2019 in Burlington, ON.
Author: Rick Hiemstra